• Welcome to the Internet Infidels Discussion Board.

What TV are you watching and how would you rate it? [Revive from FRDB]

Supernatural
My wife turned me onto it. Now I'm a fan.
I watched the series on first run.
I think I missed the first season.
I stopped watching (I think) at the end of the third-to-last season. The season-end episode felt like a series end.
The last I remember was when (spoiler) the end times happened. It felt too much like christian propaganda. It was no fun.
It didn't seem like christian propaganda to me, at least no more so than Lucifer or Good Omens or Exorcist. Most of the angels are dickheaded assholes, and a few of the demons are halfway decent. God is a bit of a jerk, and Satan is moderately reasonable in a cold-logic kill everything kind of way.
 
Supernatural
My wife turned me onto it. Now I'm a fan.
I watched the series on first run.
I think I missed the first season.
I stopped watching (I think) at the end of the third-to-last season. The season-end episode felt like a series end.
The last I remember was when (spoiler) the end times happened. It felt too much like christian propaganda. It was no fun.
It didn't seem like christian propaganda to me, at least no more so than Lucifer or Good Omens or Exorcist. Most of the angels are dickheaded assholes, and a few of the demons are halfway decent. God is a bit of a jerk, and Satan is moderately reasonable in a cold-logic kill everything kind of way.
Not only that, they left Jesus out altogether.


ETA: I'm pretty sure they did, anyway. Maybe a wee reference here and there? My memory is not great.
 
Last edited:
My son watches Supernatural. My wife watches Gilmore Girls. They share an actor, but his name is Dean in the Gilmore Girls and that's his brother's name on Supernatural. Or maybe I have something reversed, yeah, see? That's one reason I will not watch either of them. It's like my wife and son are in cahoots to confuse me.
 
Supernatural
My wife turned me onto it. Now I'm a fan.
I watched the series on first run.
I think I missed the first season.
I stopped watching (I think) at the end of the third-to-last season. The season-end episode felt like a series end.
The last I remember was when (spoiler) the end times happened. It felt too much like christian propaganda. It was no fun.
It didn't seem like christian propaganda to me, at least no more so than Lucifer or Good Omens or Exorcist. Most of the angels are dickheaded assholes, and a few of the demons are halfway decent. God is a bit of a jerk, and Satan is moderately reasonable in a cold-logic kill everything kind of way.
Not only that, they left Jesus out altogether.


ETA: I'm pretty sure they did, anyway. Maybe a wee reference here and there? My memory is not great.
Jesus didn't get mentioned in either Supernatural or Lucifer.
 
Supernatural
My wife turned me onto it. Now I'm a fan.
Once you make it past the first season, it's pretty good. But that first one was rough, with horrible lighting.
I have heard some good things about the show but it doesn’t sound like something I would like based on plot descriptions. But I do like a well done show regardless of plot if other factors are good. What is so good about this show?
Interesting take on angels and demons, plus good old fashioned monster hunting. Good acting. Strong themes of brotherly love and family strength, even with disagreement and strife.

And they make fun of themselves pretty often. At one point they find out that an author has been writing "fiction" about their actual lives, and the books have a fan following... They end up going to a convention where everyone is in costume as them.
As an example, I did like the shows Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Lucifer, even though they would seem to touch on similar subject matter, but I felt that the writing and charm of the characters well made up for it. How does Supernatural compare to these shows in quality of writing and plotting?
 
My son watches Supernatural. My wife watches Gilmore Girls. They share an actor, but his name is Dean in the Gilmore Girls and that's his brother's name on Supernatural. Or maybe I have something reversed, yeah, see? That's one reason I will not watch either of them. It's like my wife and son are in cahoots to confuse me.
Dean is in it for the first few seasons, then his character becomes a bit less involved. Probably so he could kill demons or something. Gilmore Girls was a good show, but I could only watch it through the first run. The main characters are self destructive monsters and it is much harder to emphasize with them the second go around.
 
Supernatural
My wife turned me onto it. Now I'm a fan.
Once you make it past the first season, it's pretty good. But that first one was rough, with horrible lighting.
I have heard some good things about the show but it doesn’t sound like something I would like based on plot descriptions. But I do like a well done show regardless of plot if other factors are good. What is so good about this show?
Interesting take on angels and demons, plus good old fashioned monster hunting. Good acting. Strong themes of brotherly love and family strength, even with disagreement and strife.

And they make fun of themselves pretty often. At one point they find out that an author has been writing "fiction" about their actual lives, and the books have a fan following... They end up going to a convention where everyone is in costume as them.
As an example, I did like the shows Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Lucifer, even though they would seem to touch on similar subject matter, but I felt that the writing and charm of the characters well made up for it. How does Supernatural compare to these shows in quality of writing and plotting?
Once you get past the first season, I'd say it's marginally better than Buffy, but not as good as Lucifer. It's sillier than Lucifer, but not as packed with teenage girl angst. The characters are good, although Sam annoys me most of the time. The writing is good (after S1), I'd say on par with Grimm.

I would also recommend Grimm for a good time. The last season gets a bit awkward and forced, but I think they were trying to tie up something that got away from them.
 
Back
Top Bottom