ideologyhunter
Contributor
He died yesterday at age 86. His wikipedia entry calls him a televangelist and conviced felon in its first sentence, and that says it all. Well, he was also an idiot, which was apparent if you listened to him for more than five minutes.
He was the last of the gospel ballyhoo scammers from 50 or 60 years ago, the heyday of the American televangelist. I can't think of anyone else from that era who's still around.
His PTL empire was one bizarre Ponzi scheme, and Jim also had the sex scandal angle covered. And the first wife -- ye gods, where to start. I used to watch those two on a 6 a.m. broadcast before I went to work in the 80s. They never ceased to amaze me. The one question I could never convincingly answer: who are the people who write checks to these idiots??? What are their lives like? Do they find Jim and Tammy endearing?
One show I remember ran the week of Tammy's birthday, and I swear that Jim announced he had bought her a giraffe that would live at Heritage USA (their kingdom.) Does anyone else remember this?
Anyway, it all came crashing down, with the help of local prosecutors and Jerry Falwell. There was Jim's mental breakdown, a prison sentence (I believe it started as 40 years for multiple fraud counts, but he was out sometime in the 90s, I think.)
And of course he gravitated back to huckstering on TV. During covid he was pushing quack medicine until the government threatened to prosecute. In recent years, he was hawking giant industrial buckets of survival food. You know, for your bunker, while you were waiting for Lord Jesus to come down and clear out the zombies and the Antichrist. And of course he still found folks who were bigger idiots than him who'd buy multi-gallon buckets of cheese sauce, soup, chocolate pudding, etc. etc. Vats of glop that have now outlived Jim himself.
He was the last of the gospel ballyhoo scammers from 50 or 60 years ago, the heyday of the American televangelist. I can't think of anyone else from that era who's still around.
His PTL empire was one bizarre Ponzi scheme, and Jim also had the sex scandal angle covered. And the first wife -- ye gods, where to start. I used to watch those two on a 6 a.m. broadcast before I went to work in the 80s. They never ceased to amaze me. The one question I could never convincingly answer: who are the people who write checks to these idiots??? What are their lives like? Do they find Jim and Tammy endearing?
One show I remember ran the week of Tammy's birthday, and I swear that Jim announced he had bought her a giraffe that would live at Heritage USA (their kingdom.) Does anyone else remember this?
Anyway, it all came crashing down, with the help of local prosecutors and Jerry Falwell. There was Jim's mental breakdown, a prison sentence (I believe it started as 40 years for multiple fraud counts, but he was out sometime in the 90s, I think.)
And of course he gravitated back to huckstering on TV. During covid he was pushing quack medicine until the government threatened to prosecute. In recent years, he was hawking giant industrial buckets of survival food. You know, for your bunker, while you were waiting for Lord Jesus to come down and clear out the zombies and the Antichrist. And of course he still found folks who were bigger idiots than him who'd buy multi-gallon buckets of cheese sauce, soup, chocolate pudding, etc. etc. Vats of glop that have now outlived Jim himself.