• Welcome to the Internet Infidels Discussion Board.

Barbaric

That makes sense. 6000 doses does not.
Thinking further I’d estimate that I ingested about 25-30 mg
(100-120 ‘normal’doses) that one time. Had I not been already very familiar with the effects, it could have been a very bad experience.

Think you might have meant microgram (mcg/μg), not mg. Back in the 70's 'microdot' was common. Highest dose that I ever took was 200μg.

From wiki:
The usual dose range of LSD for psychedelic effects is 20 to 200 μg.[14][44] The typical intermediate and "good effect" dose for a psychedelic experience is 100 μg (range 75–150 μg, while 20 to 50 μg is a low or "minidose" and 200 μg is a high or ego-dissolution dose.)[14][44][10] A dose range as wide as 10 to 450 μg has been reported.[48][49] LSD may also be used in microdosing.[50] In this context, it may be used at subthreshold or microdoses of less than 10 μg.[14][44]

The doses of LSD present in illicit LSD samples have decreased over time. In the mid-1960s, Owsley Stanley, the most important black market LSD manufacturer in the United States, distributed LSD at a standard concentration of 270 μg,[51] while street samples of the 1970s contained 30 to 300 μg. By the 1980s, the amount had reduced to between 100 and 125 μg, dropping more in the 1990s to the 20 to 80 μg range,[52] and even further in the 2000s.[51][53]: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LSD#Uses

Either way you're my hero.
 
  • Like
Reactions: WAB
ETA: I suppose a lethal dose of LSD probably incurs some intense distress? I don't know.
Remember, there are good trips and bad trips.

I'd hate to have ingested a large dose and find out the hard way that I was more afraid of dying than I had thought.
 
ETA: I suppose a lethal dose of LSD probably incurs some intense distress? I don't know.
Remember, there are good trips and bad trips.

I'd hate to have ingested a large dose and find out the hard way that I was more afraid of dying than I had thought.
I'm at peace with the idea of being dead, but after watching my brother die I confess the actual dying part scares me more now.

I had an upper GI bleed when I was 58, blood coming from both ends pretty profusely. My brother (Kurt, the one who died) heard me call his name very faintly from my room in our shared apartment. He managed to get me in the bathroom, where I collapsed cold and clammy and white as a sheet. He had already called 911 and said he was afraid I was on my way out.

There was zero pain, just a few hours of extreme nausea and various other symptoms before it happened. I thought it was food poisoning. Afterwards, when I lay on the floor, I remember feeling very relaxed and peaceful, very nice actually. When they took me out I couldn't move. They gave me a transfusion in the ambulance, and I went up to Las Vegas later. I was told that absent my brother, I probably wouldn't have made it. I wouldn't mind going out that way. No suffering, except for the sick feeling beforehand.

Also, according to Wiki, no one is known to have died from an OD of LSD. I misspoke before.
 

Also, according to Wiki, no one is known to have died from an OD of LSD. I misspoke before.
You'd have to assume that the LSD just eased the transition, much like what you did for your brother.

I have known a few people who have availed themselves of VAD, and I intend to do the same if life became too painful. That said, being of an optimistic disposition I can usually find something I wouldn't want to miss.

I have to admit to being somewhat confused.

A system that is prepared to execute someone more than 30 years after their crime terrifies me. As does that system fighting to save their life after having taken positive steps to end it.

I have no intention of murdering anyone, but very glad I live where I live.
 
  • Like
Reactions: WAB
What about inert gas, Nitrogen, Argon?
What about 'inert' suggests poison?
You are breathing 80% Nitrogen now.
100% would suffocate you. Not poison you.
Sure, but you are dead either way.

Inert gas suffocation is so painless that most accidental victims lose consciousness without ever suspecting that anything is wrong - they are still able to exhale carbon dioxide, and it is elevated CO2 that causes the feeling of suffocation, not lack of O2.

Anoxia actually feels euphoric, it would presumably be one of the least unpleasant ways to die.
 
The base of the problem is there is no simple, clean, and easy way to kill a person. We have spent the past couple centuries trying to invent one. Decapitation had been the standard and it was quick and easy, but definitely not clean, even when done by a machine and not an ax. Hanging(with the intention of quick death), electrocution(a word coined to describe the process) and poison gas, are all fairly modern. The advantage of decapitation and hanging is it's pretty much a one man operation. The rope maker or the ax maker are far removed from the process. The problem with lethal injection is the pharmaceutical companies who are asked to supply the injectable don't want to be associated with using drugs which kill people, for obvious reasons. It becomes a supply chain problem. This leads to amateur chemists, most with a high school education having to concoct a lethal potion. Things like LD50 and body mass are not the sort of thing covered in 11th grade science classes. There's no practical way to test anything, so the results can be unexpected.
A simple, reliable, painless system exists: anoxic environment. A tank of nitrogen is a common, unregulated thing with many industrial uses.

But, yeah, the only case where I would support the death penalty is those who are too dangerous to keep. I would define that as someone who commits a crime that draws life without parole while already serving life without parole, or someone serving life without parole and an attempt to free him involves a crime that draws life without parole (or would do so if prosecution was possible.)
 
What about inert gas, Nitrogen, Argon?
It's been used in some states. What we need is a substance that kills a person and doesn't cause spasms, convulsions, or other physical signs of distress. Inhaling pure nitrogen or argon causes unconsciousness in a few seconds, but it takes quite a while to die. It seems a person lying unconscious on a gurney burns oxygen very slowly. The nitrogen is basically a sedative which allows the person to asphyxiate. Eventually lack if oxygen in muscle cells cause a few last futile contractions. The brain has long since stopped functioning on any level, but it looks unseemly.
It's not a sedative, it simply removes the oxygen and the brain shuts down for a lack of energy.
 
I was unclear. It seems he was on his deathbed and requested a dose of a particular amount, and the Mrs obliged, and gave a second dose an hour later. That was around noon. Huxley expired about five hours later. She wrote an account of that day called This Timeless Moment.
If accurate I wouldn't say she killed him. Somebody's dying, if the patient requests a dose that ends up killing them, so be it.
 
  • Like
Reactions: WAB
What about inert gas, Nitrogen, Argon?
It's been used in some states. What we need is a substance that kills a person and doesn't cause spasms, convulsions, or other physical signs of distress. Inhaling pure nitrogen or argon causes unconsciousness in a few seconds, but it takes quite a while to die. It seems a person lying unconscious on a gurney burns oxygen very slowly. The nitrogen is basically a sedative which allows the person to asphyxiate. Eventually lack if oxygen in muscle cells cause a few last futile contractions. The brain has long since stopped functioning on any level, but it looks unseemly.
It's not a sedative, it simply removes the oxygen and the brain shuts down for a lack of energy.
A person who has inhaled three full breaths of pure nitrogen certainly looks sedate.
 
i_m:pid_1918,c_s_auto_br,bc_0f0f0f,wmk,s_313,q_90.jpg
 
Back
Top Bottom